After September 1944 the Porkkala region was a closed area to its former residents, kept alive only in peoples' minds. Feelings were bitter as the grown-ups did not believe in ever returning to their native locality again; after all the lease was for 50 years. They tried to settle down in new places but it was not easy, because Finland had to find new homes for about 400.000 Karelians at the same time, who had also been forced to leave their homes in the conclusion of peace. The compensations granted for their lost property was a meagre consolation. From November of 1947 it was permitted to travel by train through the area. However, the train windows were shuttered during the journey between Kauklahti and Tähtelä. This "the world's longest tunnel" became an item of interest also internationally, but the Russian guards on board the trains watched very thoroughly that no photographs were taken. Otherwise the Porkkala region was a white spot on the map of Finland.

The Russians immediately started building their huge military base. Two airports were constructed, one for fighters in Friggesby and another for the frontier guard planes in Degerby. Kirkkonummi became the centre of the base where e.g. the staff was based. The churches within the region were generally used for all sorts of cultural activities. Also civilians moved to the region and became in a short time quite selfsufficient with their own collective farms, shop, school, cinema and hospital.